Google will introduce a new Sensitive Events policy into the AdMob & AdSense Program Policies in February.
Why we care. Without Google’s permission, non-compliance with policies may result in the disabling of ads serving on your site as well as the deactivation of your AdSense account.
What is a Sensitive Event? A Sensitive Event is an unforeseen situation that poses a significant risk to Google’s ability to:
- Provide high-quality, relevant and accurate information.
- Reduce inappropriate content in key and monetized features.
Examples of Sensitive Events include events with significant social, cultural, or political impact, such as:
- Civil emergencies.
- Natural disasters.
- Public health emergencies.
- Terrorism and related activities.
- Mass acts of violence.
Banned content. Google published a non-exhaustive list explaining the type of material it prohibits during Special Events:
- Products or services that exploit, dismiss, or condone the Sensitive Event, including price gouging or artificially inflating prices that prohibits/restricts access to vital supplies; sale of products or services which may be insufficient for the demand during a sensitive event.
- The use of keywords related to a sensitive event to attempt to drive additional traffic.
- Claims that victims of a sensitive event were responsible for their own tragedy or similar instances of victim blaming; claims that victims of a sensitive event are not deserving of remedy or support; claims that victims from certain countries were responsible or deserving of a global public health crisis.
What’s changing? Moving forward, Google will take actions to address the risks that arise during Sensitive Events to improve its ability to serve high-quality, truthful information. However, the specific actions are yet to be confirmed.
Get the daily newsletter search marketers rely on.
Deep dive. Read the AdMob & AdSense Program Policies in full for more information.
New on Search Engine Land