Google will exclude gameplay imagery from its Shocking Content policy next month.
The Publisher Restrictions guidelines will be updated to include the exception on August 30, the Ads Manager team has confirmed to Search Engine Land.
Why we care. It’s important for marketers to ensure they are staying compliant with Google policy changes to avoid potential penalties and exclusions.
What’s new? Once the new updates are rolled out, gameplay content will only be excluded if it contains gruesome, graphic or disgusting accounts or imagery and depicts acts of:
- Sexual violence.
- Violence against minors.
- Violence against prominent real-name persons.
- Violence against an individual or group on the basis of a characteristic that is associated with systemic discrimination or marginalization.
Get the daily newsletter search marketers rely on.
What has Google said? Google is advising brands to review the update to check how their site or app will be impacted.
If a brand would like to challenge previous content exclusions based on this update, they have the right to appeal. A spokesperson said:
- “If your site or app received restricted ad serving previously due to Shocking content but you believe ad serving should no longer be restricted following the update, you may request a review or appeal of your site or app on or after 30 August 2023.”
Deep dive. Read Google’s ‘Shocking content‘ rules for more information on what content exclusions apply to. For more information on appealing content exclusion decisions, read Google’s Policy Center guidelines.
New on Search Engine Land